Other Pretty things

Thursday 9 December 2010

Future Beauty: 30 Years of Japanese Fashion

Follow my blog with bloglovin

I recently went to this exhibition future beauty: 30 years of Japanese Fashion, the exhibition has inspired me in so many ways, looking at different materials, cuts, drapes, and different ways of viewing work, this exhibition shows at the Barbican, it celebrates works from Issey MiyakeRei Kawakubo and Yohji Yamamoto and shows young new designers too, it something worth looking at and exploring.


I came across the exhibition because the tutors had mentioned it in class, to be honest with that title and my erosion work I thought it had little to help me move forward and help me in my work, but the tutors were talking me through my work, and strongly suggested that I go. so I went.






Just quick sketches at the exhibition.


Both Rei Kawakubo designs, I like the way the garment changes from flat to person, the really nice drapes it creates, I also really like the complicated one on the left Rei says that can be worn anyway, it is really up to the wearer, this is what inspired me about this garment is that its different on every one that puts it on, the idea that it is one garment but has so many different designs when worn.


I really enjoyed this flat to garment ideas, and I thought about my own work, this idea that I was taking a plain t shirt and attaching knitted fabric to it to distort the t shirts shape so that it would be different, but in the same way as Rei has designed garments flat which look completely different from person to stand, I wanted to understand how you would understand this so I started to experiment.





No comments:

Post a Comment